Sunday 8 April 2012

Easter Break Media Viewing

Over my Easter Break I was watching the 60 minutes program on channel 9 on Sunday's at 7:30pm-8:30pm. This program is one which I love to watch and try to view the stories almost every week if I can.
This past week's program had two very interesting stories aired and they both were focused around topics which receive very little media awareness.
The first story was about crimes committed on cruise ships and how the cruise companies solve them. The answer? They don't! I was absolutely astounded and horrified to discover that if a crime is committed on a cruise ship... there is no investigations or convictions but rather it is just swept under the rug. I was also surprised to hear that so many crimes have occurred and nobody has heard about them and the poor families have to live without knowing the answers to the disappearances of their loved ones.
Below is the link to the 60 minutes website and the video and transcript it available to view. The story is called, "Ships of Shame".

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8447235

Moving on to the second segment on the program, a story titled, "The Fat Gene". This story was very interesting because it showcased some studies and opinions which had never before been heard. The point of the story was that if you are overweight, and after diet and exercise you lose weight, your body will just put the weight back on because it wants to be bigger. This study was done by the University of Melbourne and it gives a lot of overweight people answers as to why they just gain the weight back on again. I thought it was an insightful viewpoint and study because it highlights a reason for our obesity epidemic in Australia. However, there is a contrasting study from America which concludes the age-old prophecy that you just need to exercise more.
Below is the video and story transcript to the segment.

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8447228


I really enjoyed this week's 60 minutes and I think it is a great program for delivering really interesting stories in a mature and sensible way.

I hope everyone is having a relaxing Easter break!


1 comment:

  1. 1996 Lincoln Continental AC Compressor
    I like it because i was seeking for such type of info.
    I hope it benefits all one who land up here.
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete